Sunday 8 May 2011

Ode to the Old

Today I had a date with myself at one of my favourite book stores which just happens to have a coffee shop attached - Bliss! My mind started to race as I was inspired by the words and creativity of others and I went to grab my notebook and pen but in the "daily bag swap" realised that I had forgotten to transfer them across.

The notes app in my i-phone just didn't cut it - for me there's just something about writing it down...perhaps it is the romantic in me.....and while I know this sounds a little archaic, isn't it true that so often the old becomes new and the new becomes old...it's a cycle of fashion and of life and for me good old fashioned pen and paper will never tire... maybe it's yet to make its comeback!

Many things are seasonal, but many will also will stand the test of time.
I am sure we have all thrown out something from our wardrobe that years later we wished we had held on to. I only have to listen to my Mum talk about some of the pieces she had invested in during her 20's that she,  now regretably, passed on without thought as they became "so last season".  How I would love to get my hands on some of those 'to die for' treausred designs...to bring back to life...breathing new life into the old....

Sometimes it pays to not so quickly disregard the things of the past, but to recognise their value, both in the present and the future...

My hope, is that with increased life experience will also come an innate ability to recognise that which is timeless.        
                                                        
                                                          http://www.googleimages.com/





1 comment:

  1. I agree with you totally Jen about 'there being something about writing it down'. I have a collection of journals that I started when I was 13, I still journal today and often think, 'why on earth am I doing this? I don't even read them let alone anyone else'.... but there is something about putting it in ink on paper. Keep writing, who knows some day they might contribute to your famous memoirs.

    ReplyDelete